• A one-week old kitten needs a completely different level of care than a four week old.

    You’ve rescued an adorable little fluff ball. Before you can decide what you need to do next, you need to determine his age. A one-week old kitten needs a completely different level of care than a four week old. Once you know his age, you’ll know if you need to stimulate him to potty or provide a litter box.

    Please remember that this chart is only a general guide. Every kitten is different. Some kittens open their eyes at three days. Some kittens wean themselves at 3 weeks, while others squeal for a bottle at 8 weeks.

    Newborn to
    7 days
    • A kitten will weigh 3 to 4 ounces at birth
    • Ears flat against head
    • Kitten can’t regulate his body temperature
    • Kitten is blind and deaf
    • Kitten can smell well enough to find mother’s nipple
    • Sleeps 90% of the time and eats the other 10%
    • Room should be 85° to 90° F
    • Kitten should be fed 6 to 12 times a day
    • Stimulate private parts to help him go to
      the bathroom
    Day 3
    • Umbilical cord falls off
    Newborn to
    14 days
    Crawls around
    5 to 14
    days
    • Ears open
    • Eyes open
    6 days Develops shiver reflex
    7 days
    • Kitten should weigh 6 to 8 ounces
    • Hold head and chest up
    7 to 14
    days
    • Room should be kept at 80° to 85° F
    • Kitten should be fed 5 to 7 times daily
    • Kitten should weigh 8 to 10 ounces
    14 day
    • Starting to coordinate his movements
    • Locates specific sounds
    • Stands up and crawls around
    • Begins to play and explore
    14 to 17
    days
    Begins walking (probably wobbly)
    14 to 21
    days
    • Room should be 75° to 80° F
    • Starts to explore his surroundings
    • Kitten should be fed 4 to 7 times daily
    • Kitten should weigh 10 to 12 ounces
    17 to 21
    days
    • Poops and pees on his own
    • Interacts with littermates
    • Tail swishes
    21 days
    • Really walking
    • Ears stand up
    • Swivels ears
    • Scratches with hind leg
    • Eyes starting to focus
    • Turns head toward sounds
    21 to 28
    days
    • Canine teeth (fangs) emerge
    • Pees and poops without help
    • Runs and climbs
    • Kitten should be fed 3 to 7 times daily
    • Kitten should weigh at least 14 ounces
    • Should start socialization with people and friendly cats
    28 days
    • Room should be no cooler than 70° F
    • Laps milk replacer from a saucer and eats gruel or canned foods
    • Kitten should weigh at least 28 ounces
    • Playing with littermates
    4 to 5
    weeks
    • Lower molars emerge
    • Kittens begin to pounce
    • Runs around
    • Uses litter box
    6½ to 7 weeks Eyes change from baby blue to their adult color
    7 weeks Weaned
    8 weeks
    • Upper molars emerge
    • Many vets will spay or neuter kitten
    12 weeks Ideal time to remove from mother
    12 to 16 weeks Permanent teeth emerge
    5 to 6 months Reaches sexual maturity

  • /

    Before you can decide what you need to do next, you need to determine his age.