Rest is an essential part of your cat’s life. Here’s what to think about when choosing a cat bed for your feline friend.
Though it may not seem like the most important aspect of cat care, choosing the right cat bed is critical. A cat will spend a lot of time in her bed, and it’s essential to make it as comfortable and homey as possible. Here are some things to consider when you are making a decision about your cat’s habitat.
- Size: It’s important to make sure your cat has a bed that is an appropriate size. You don’t want your feline’s bed to be so small that it’s tough to move around in, but it shouldn’t be so cavernous that it’s not cozy. Keep your cat’s size in mind and, if she’s a kitten, know that she might outgrow her current bed.
- Heating: Many beds feature heating systems, whether they’re powered by electricity, heated up using a microwave, or are designed to trap the cat’s own body heat. These are beneficial, as your pet will naturally seek a warm cat habitat. Additionally, heated beds can be helpful for a cat that has arthritis. It is possible to find beds specifically designed for this purpose.
- Comfort: Though your cat doesn’t need to be sleeping in the lap of luxury, a comfortable bed is beneficial. If the cat bed you provide isn’t comfortable enough, your cat will choose to sleep other places where you might not want her, such as your bed or the laundry basket. You should seek to provide a cozy home, not just a box for your pet.
- Habitat: Hooded beds and beds with high sides provide a den-like atmosphere that will help your cat to feel safe and secure.
- Washability: Beds with removable outer covers will enable you to wash the areas that come in contact with your pet. Regular washing will help reduce the spread of bacteria, as well as cut down on odors.
If you can provide your cat with a bed that she is happy with sleeping in every night, you’ve done your job. The most important consideration of choosing a cat bed is her approval.