Tips from Hartz: How to Ensure a Pest-Free Summer
Flea and tick season is upon us! With a mild winter and hotter temperatures in much of the United States, many veterinarians are worried that this year could be worse than previous years.
To ensure a pest-free summer, it's important to start flea prevention and treatment as soon as possible.
Did you know?
- In just 30 days, 10 female fleas can multiply to over a quarter million new fleas in different life stages.
- Fleas can jump vertically up to seven inches and horizontally thirteen inches.
- Female fleas start producing eggs within 24 to 48 hours after taking their first blood meal and can lay up to 40 to 50 eggs per day.
- Optimum conditions for flea larvae are 65-80 ºF with shaded areas and high humidity.
- Flea pupae can lie dormant for many months or can change into adult fleas in as few as 5 days.
To help pet-parents choose the correct flea and tick products for their pets, Hartz has created the Flea and Tick Care Station. This interactive Facebook tab allows users to create a custom profile for their pet(s). The tool will select the very best ®UltraGuard choice for their dog or cat based off of weight, age, geographical location, infestation status, and type of pet.