Have a new aquarium? Thinking about setting one up? Whether you’ve just purchased your first tank, or are thinking about updating a current aquarium, we want to help you understand how to create an ideal aquatic environment for the fish that you love. Setting up your tank properly, as well as getting in the habit of caring for your fish on a regular basis will help ensure their health and happiness. With so many factors to consider, we’ve provided some simple tips that will help get you started in the right direction!
How to Set Up Your Aquarium:
- Thoroughly rinse aquarium, with water only. Do not use detergents or commercial cleansers.
- Place your aquarium on a level and sturdy surface to avoid stressing the tank, which can lead to cracks and leaking. Additionally, put your aquarium where you can both enjoy and take care of your fish. You should also place the aquarium where it will not get direct sunlight, in order to control algae growth.
- Add rinsed gravel, plants and decorations to make your tank a wonderland for both you and your fish.
- Set-up and position the filter and heater, but do not plug in the heater immediately.
- Gently add water to your tank, and make sure the water has been properly conditioned.
- Add a cover to your aquarium, as leaving one off can cause water evaporation and increase heater usage. It will also keep fish from jumping out of the tank. After å_ hour you can turn on the heater and the filter.
New Aquarium Tips:
- Avoid overfeeding. Feed twicea day and only the amount consumed in a two to five minute period.
- Regularly test Ammonia, Nitrite pH.
- Build your community over a 3 to 4 month period.
- Regularly remove any organic debris from your tank.
- Whenever you change your water, make sure you use our Wardleyå¨ Safe2o to ensure your tap water is conditioned, eliminating Chlorine & Chloramines, naturalizing harmful ammonia and regulating pH.
For more information about aquariums or anything fish related visit our fish page.