6 Ways to Stop Your Dog From Digging
Digging can be an annoying (and expensive) habit for your dog. Dogs dig for a variety of reasons, including entertainment, natural instinct and to go after a rodent hiding underground. It won’t be easy, but it’s possible to break Fido’s dirty habit! Here are some tips to get you started!
● Take Fido on a walk or run before letting him loose in the backyard. If he doesn’t have a lot of energy, he’s less likely to uproot your petunias.
● Hide balloons in your dog’s favorite places to dig and cover them with dirt. Next time Fido starts digging, the balloon will pop and startle him!
● This one is kind of gross, but it works! Put some of your dog’s poop in the hole and cover it with dirt. A lot of dogs hate this smell and will stop digging… but not all dogs! Some will actually eat the poop, so keep a close eye when using this strategy!
● If Fido is digging in your garden, plant some things that don’t appeal to him. Roses with thorns definitely work as a deterrent.
● Set up a sprinkler near your dog’s favorite holes. When he starts making a mess, turn them on! It will likely startle him enough to make him stop.
● Dogs sometimes dig to keep cool on warm days. Make sure your dog has a bowl of fresh water and plenty of shade to lounge!
Fido still digging after all that? If you can’t beat ’em, join ’em! Give your dog a designated area to dig. Bury some of his favorite toys in the area to make it more appealing. Scold him for digging in your lawn or garden and praise him when he uses his dig spot!
Every dog is different. If one solution doesn’t work, try another! If you make it through the entire list without success, it’s best to consult with a veterinarian or another animal professional. Remember to never use physical punishment on your pet!