If fleas are on your cat, you can be sure that they are also in your home. There are three ways you can take fast action for flea control and prevention: immediate treatment, infestation control and infestation prevention.
If your cat has just picked up fleas, we recommend a fast kill approach using products such as Hartz® UltraGuard Plus® On Pet sprays, powders and shampoos. These parasite-control products have active ingredients that work immediately, killing fleas fast.
Steps for immediate treatment:
- Carefully apply the Hartz product according to the package directions.
- Re-inspect your cat the next day to ensure that all fleas are dead. Use a flea comb to help with this inspection.
- If fleas are still found, repeat the application.
If the number of fleas is great and you have noted a flea problem on your cat before, choose a more thorough Hartz treatment to ensure that an infestation does not grow.
Steps for protecting your pet and home:
- Use topical drops or flea collars, such as Hartz® UltraGuard Pro® Flea & Tick Drops for Cats or Hartz® UltraGuard Plus® Cat Collars. Both products begin killing fleas immediately and continue to work over time.
- To ensure that your home is not a haven for fleas, also use Hartz® UltraGuard Plus® In Home products, such as sprays and carpet powders.
- If your flea problem is severe, try the Hartz® UltraGuard Plus® Home Fogger.
- Re-inspect areas of your home within 24 hours and continue to make regular inspections to ensure that a bigger flea infestation doesn’t lurk in hidden places.
Prevention is the best method, especially if you know your cat is in areas where fleas often thrive, including your own yard. Infestations that start on your cat can also start growing in your home. If left unchecked, such infestations can continuously produce biting adult fleas that not only endanger your cat but also you and your family.
Steps for preventing a flea infestation:
To bring an existing infestation under control and prevent future infestations, choose a flea treatment that contains active ingredients that kill both adult fleas plus flea eggs and flea larvae, thus breaking the flea life cycle.
Additionally, Dr. Melinda recommends either Hartz® UltraGuard Pro® or Hartz® UltraGuard Plus® lines of topical drops, collars and In Home products which also contain ingredients that break the flea life cycle.