Top 5 common home products that could be dangerous to dogs
Making the decision to adopt a dog is a life-altering one that will put you in charge of the health and well-being of a new companion.
As a result, before you bring your new friend home from the breeder or animal shelter, there are a number of changes you should make around the home to safeguard your pet. There are a variety of household items that can be dangerous to dogs if they are ingested, and if these products are left lying around, you may have an emergency trip to the vet or worse on your hands. Here are a few products you should be sure to get rid of or lock up before your pooch comes home.
- Alcohol. According to Dogster.com, while most dog owners will keep the liquor store variety alcohol in a cabinet or in a fridge away from their dogs, there are a number of products found in the common kitchen, pantry or bathroom that could contain dangerous amounts of alcohol. For instance, vanilla extract, perfumes and even mouthwash have a high alcohol content, so owners need to be mindful of what potentially dangerous products their dogs can access.
- Bug repellent. Bug spray is a common sight during the summer and fall months, but many of the active ingredients found inside can be poisonous to canines. For instance, DEET is common in most bug repellents and is very harmful to dogs, so any sprays, towelettes and liquids should be kept away from canines at all times.
- Houseplants. According to Cesar's Way, before you bring your dog home, take a moment to go around your home to see if there are any plants that could be toxic to your companion. Common household plants like oleander, narcissus, hyacinths and chrysanthemums can cause digestive issues, so make sure to only buy non-toxic house plants in the near future. Rover.com has a more complete list of plants that could pose a danger to your pet.
- Spare change. Dogs can make a snack out of the strangest things, and they won't hesitate to chomp down on some pocket change if it is left out. This could lead to zinc toxicosis caused by the ingestion of pennies, so make sure to store these coins in a jar or another container on a high shelf when leaving your dog home alone.
- Sugar free gums and candies. While it may be advantageous for your waistline, sugar free candy and gum most often contains an artificial sweetener called xylitol, which can be lethal in small amounts. Be sure to read the labels carefully before buying these products and keep them in areas of your home where your dog can't gain access.
This content is provided by the pet wellness experts at Hartz. We know that adopting a dog or cat is a huge commitment, so we're here to help you feel confident and become the best pet parent you can be.