How to demonstrate leadership to your dog
When you move through different parts of the house or outside for a walk, either you or your dog will be leading the way.
It is important to remember that leaders move first and determine the direction in which to take.
When going outside for a walk, your dog may be inclined to bolt outside as soon as the door is open. Instead, practice the following when you initiate the walk:
- Begin by leashing your dog and approaching the door keeping it closed.
- Call your dog into a sit-stay or standing still at the very least
- Slowly open the door and continue to do so if the dog stays.
- If at any time, the dog moves toward the door, pull back on the leash and close the door.
- Once you have the dog in waiting position, open the door and lead your dog out for his walk.
As the leader, your dog will begin to look to you for instruction when approaching doorways.